Friday, February 19, 2010
Practicing peace with your body!
Here are a few simple strategies for cultivating real happiness by practicing peace with your body:
1) Be kind to your body (instead of engaging in cruel self-talk and/or physical torture).
2) Show your body love by nurturing it with enough good food (i.e. real, whole food) and physical movement that you feel relaxed and energized rather than stuffed and depleted.
3) Practice compassion for your body by slowing down enough to listen for signs of suffering -- i.e. a sore back, upset stomach, head ache, tight shoulders, etc. -- and give yourself/your body the care it is asking for.
4) Forgive yourself for not being physically or spiritually flawless; instead, embrace yourself as a whole human being who is a work in process and whose destination is the journey.
5) Exercise courage when you feel the urge to escape uncomfortable feelings or situations by depriving or indulging your appetite. Seek instead a middle path of staying present to what is.
6) Act responsibly towards your body by caring for it in a way that promotes overall health and well being -- mentally, physically, spiritually.
These are just a few ways that you can learn to feel at home in the body you have, while cultivating the deeper kind of happiness, peace, and well being that no diet or promise to lose weight can give.