Thursday, October 21, 2010
This shake was created for 2 reasons: an easy way for me to get my breakfast and caffeine boost at the same time in the morning AND the constant requests I get from my kids to go to Starbucks and get a sugar-laden, expensive, Frappicino! Now, anyone that knows me knows that I, single-handedly, have increased Starbucks revenue at least 10% per year for the past 10 years so I have nothing against them, I just wanted to create an option we could make at home that was cheaper, healthier and quicker! So, here goes (as usual, this recipe is for my breakfast, the kids do about 1/2 the amount and, of course, do de-caf :-)........
Ingredients in blender (in this order, it helps chew up the Chia Seeds!):
1. 1-2 packets Starbucks Via instant coffee (see, still giving them money :-)
2. 2 scoops whey protein (vanilla)
3. 1 banana (frozen works great)
4. 1 tablespoon Chia Seeds (optional, kids don't like the "texture" but it does not change the taste)
5. 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter (again, optional - I like the healthy fat and the flavor but the mix is kinda weird for most people)
6. Splenda to taste (I like 3-5 packets, depending on how much coffee is in there, but, as you know, I have a HUGE sweet tooth).
7. About 3oz water
8. Fill blender with ice
Blend and serve with Sugar Free whip cream on top as a Frap or just solo as a meal!
Add low sugar chocolete sauce to make it a "Mocha"!